Opportunity & Responsibilities
New York based global biotechnology company focusing on creating life-changing products for the treatment of cancer is seeking an experienced attorney for the position of Assistant General Counsel, R&D and Clinical.
In this role, you will primarily be responsible for providing legal support for the clinical and R&D groups, including drafting, and negotiating related contracts in compliance with policies and procedures, and helping these teams meet their corporate objectives.
This position will report to the General Counsel, and can be remote, hybrid, or located at the company’s headquarters in New York City.
Key responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Draft and negotiate agreements for the Clinical and Clinical Operations organization; including but not limited to, clinical trial agreements, master services agreements, material transfer agreements, and research agreements.
- Partner with the R&D team, providing advice on structuring various transactions in a way that advances the company’s strategy while addressing legal and regulatory risks.
- Build strong cross-functional relationships with colleagues in R&D, CMC, Clinical, Clinical Operations and other client groups to create efficient and effective processes.
- Consistently prioritize significant workload based on business needs and communicate this prioritization.
- Identify and analyze global legal, business and reputational risks to the company and consult with the legal team to develop appropriate solutions.
- Identify and resolve legal issues and identify and help resolve business issues arising from related transactions.
- Manage legal resources internally, directly and/or indirectly, and externally to complete projects in a timely and high-quality manner.
- Proactively coordinate with the legal team to contribute to and stay informed of global pharmaceutical laws and regulations.
- Lead assigned cross-functional legal initiatives and serve as lead lawyer on cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrate a service-oriented approach to advising internal client groups.
- Minimum of 10 years in a law firm, or in-house counsel role or similar experience drafting and negotiating complex contracts.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate concisely to clients and senior management, integrate legal and business knowledge, and provide clear and balanced advice regarding risks.
- Must have strong leadership skills and be results driven and customer service focused.
- Capable of working independently and able to understand and incorporate legal guidance into work product.
- Must have high integrity, ability to assess risk, ability to make decisions and think strategically while applying knowledge of applicable legal issues.
- Strong negotiation skills, ability to network across functions.
- Have an interest in piloting new approaches to improve legal services in a risk appropriate way.
- Experience with drafting, negotiating and advising on a variety of R&D Agreements in the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple matters simultaneously and to respond to rapidly shifting priorities in ambiguous or challenging situations.
- Sound conflict resolution skills and ability to work in a collaborative, global environment.
- Effective decision making; proven ability to assess and calibrate and effectively communicate legal risks to senior management and others.
- Creative, thoughtful and practical problem-solving skills.
- Experience with regulations and laws impacting the Research and Development departments within the biopharmaceutical industry.
- J.D. from an accredited law school; admitted into practice and in good standing
Salary commensurate with experience, bonus eligible, generous LTI incentive plan included.Submit Resume