Publicly traded pharmaceutical company in New York is seeking a patent attorney at the Associate Director level to assist with the development of strategies for expanding the company’s intellectual property protection around key molecules, platforms and other technologies to ensure the company’s long-term competitive advantage.
The patent attorney will also assist in providing IP transactional support in partnership with colleagues and clients in R&D, clinical, regulatory, legal, business and alliance management departments.
• Conducting strategic IP due diligence, including the portfolios of competitors and potential collaborators;
• Identifying opportunities for expanding the company’s IP position and working with members of various business, legal, scientific and administrative groups within the company to take advantage of such opportunities;
• Providing IP transactional support for a wide variety of business transactions, including research collaboration and licensing agreements, clinical agreements, master services agreements, clinical trial agreements, MTAs, consulting agreements, vendor agreements, and confidentiality agreements; and
• Monitoring internal and external developments around key molecules, platforms and other technologies to provide IP strategic support for early stage collaborations after execution.
Education and Experience:
• Juris Doctorate and admitted to practice in at least one state, New York preferred.
• At least 4 years of top-tier IP law firm experience; additional in-house experience, a plus.
• Ph.D. in life sciences field required, immunology a plus.
• Registered to practice before the US Patent and Trademark Office.
• Ideal candidate will have a broad range of patent-related legal expertise including patent preparation and prosecution, IP due diligence, litigation, licensing and strategic counseling.
• Exceptional communication skills, including presentation, interpersonal, writing and conflict resolution.
• Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and clients at all levels of the organization.
• Ability to meet aggressive deadlines, handle multiple complex legal matters and see projects through to conclusion.
• Strong knowledge of IP law required.
• Experience working in biotech/pharmaceutical industry.
• Experience with contracts involving intellectual property.
• High level of business acumen.