Our client, a well regarded mid-size law firm in Northern New Jersy is seeking a motivated Associate Attorney to support its Energy practice group. This position is best suited for a team player who can work independently in a rapidly changing and dynamic environment. Candidates should have 3-5 years of experience practicing energy and utilities law and an in-depth understanding of its policies and regulations. An understanding of various consumer protection requirements involving the retail supply market is also of value for this position.
Candidates must have strong written and oral communication skills and be able to think analytically and strategically in a collaborative, collegial environment.
- Advise clients on the development of policy positions, strategy, and tactics in the energy space.
- Identify, monitor, and analyze legislation and regulations relating to energy.
- Advise clients on compliance with energy regulations and law.
- Represent clients in attorney general and other regulatory agency investigations.
- Provide regulatory counsel to clients and prepare necessary filings.
- Conduct thorough legal research and analysis to prepare well-written strategy memoranda.
- Effectively provide advice and counsel to clients and senior level management.
- Draft legislation, amendments, legislative testimony, and regulatory comments.
- Lead other attorneys and staff as necessary to complete projects
- Juris Doctor degree with 3-5 years legislative policy, advocacy, or regulatory experience
- Law firm experience required.
- Experience counseling clients on commercial or business impact of energy-related policy, legislative, and regulatory initiatives.
- Expertise in reading, analyzing, and drafting policy language, including statute, bills, regulations, or other notices.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and work independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Strong research and writing skills with the ability to translate research into well-defined policy.