Princeton Legal Search Group is retained on an exclusive basis to lead the search for a General Counsel for a diversified real estate development and management group of companies and partnerships located in Los Angeles, California. Our client’s focus is to expand its portfolio of proven and well-located properties including multi-family, industrial, retail, commercial, and senior living care through acquisition and development while providing stable cash flow to its partners and outside investors.
The General Counsel will lead all day-to-day legal matters pertaining to deal structuring, entity formation, transactional closings, financing, leasing, risk management, and strategic negotiations, including managing inside and outside counsel assisting with all such matters. The General Counsel will serve as an effective guardian of the firm and its principals for legal related issues ensuring legal compliance while minimizing risk. The ideal candidate must have a critical mindset with strong attention to detail, excellent communication skills, and a passion for real estate law. The General Counsel is a member of the company’s Executive Team.
This job description identifies the essential functions and requirements of this position, but is not intended to be an exhaustive list.
- Act as the senior executive leader of the company for all legal related matters.
- Identify proactive solutions that detect and mitigate legal and business risks.
- Provide expert and strategic legal advice to senior management and ownership on all real estate matters, including corporate law, deal structuring, finance, securitization, and leasing.
- Manage the legal department and supervise growth and development of the legal team to support business.
- Supervise the Directors for Risk Management and Safety & Security.
- Retain, direct, supervise, manage and evaluate the performance of outside counsel.
- Maintain records, knowledge, and integrity of the company’s operations and legal documents.
- Spearhead, draft, and negotiate key commercial and corporate contracts.
- Resolve disputes with vendors, landlords, tenants, lenders, managers, employees, service providers, joint venture partners and others.
- Lead the legal team in acquisition and disposition transactions, including purchase and sale agreement negotiation, contract review, and legal due diligence.
- Lead the legal team in property financing and refinancing including reviewing and negotiating term sheets and loan documentation, title review, and legal due diligence.
- Oversee the insurance captive, resolution of insurance claims (property, liability, workers comp, et al), and related matters.
- Cultivate and implement best practices and process improvements between business units.
- Supervise statutory filings and government reporting (such as licensing applications, DBA’s, state filings, et al) and preserve all corporate records.
- Define department objectives to optimize efficiency and achieve performance goals set in accordance with owners’ and executive’s expectations.
- Understand, cultivate, and manage relationships with other departments (Asset Management, Development, Construction, Property Management (Commercial, Conventional and Affordable), H/R, Marketing, Accounting, Finance, Operations, IS) to ensure consistent and open communications.
- Promote positive, proactive relations by demonstrating a firm, fair and consistent manner in all interactions, keeping in mind the political and social impact of decisions.
- Partner with Chief Executive Officer in long-range planning, communications and other tasks.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Deep appreciation for business sensitivities and confidentiality.
- Senior level administrative, managerial, negotiating, writing and interpersonal skills.
- Proven professional oral and written communications skills and strong negotiation ability, with an eye toward pragmatic, mutually beneficial outcomes.
- Highest degree of professional ethics, integrity and gravitas.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a challenging fast-paced team environment.
- Must be self-motivated and a positive team member with effective client relations skills.
Minimum Qualifications Required
- Juris Doctorate degree.
- Licensed or the Ability to be Licensed to practice law in CA.
- Exceptional ability to structure complex agreements.
- Deep knowledge and experience independently structuring, negotiating and executing real estate, finance, joint venture and corporate legal documentation.
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements and structuring applicable to the real estate investment management and development and entitlement is also preferred.
- Experience to provide strong leadership and direction to CEO, Managing Directors, Owners, and business partners.
- At least 15 years prior experience in a firm or in-house legal department.
- A practical-minded business attorney who is a team player, enthusiastic, energetic, organized, pro-active, responsive and service-driven.
- Able to build strong personal relationships with co-workers and staff, have a “can do” attitude and be able to work to short deadlines when required.
- Experience in general corporate law, real estate, finance, construction, commercial transactions, fund formation and management and real estate regulatory issues in California.
- General knowledge of Federal and California real estate tax issues.
- CA Broker’s License not required but highly desired.
Highly competitive compensation and benefits.Submit Resume