Our client, a well-established leader in the energy industry, has retained Princeton Legal Search Group on an exclusive basis to lead the search for an experienced attorney for the position of Litigation Counsel. This position reports to the General Counsel and will be based in Northern New Jersey.
Responsibilities for the role of Litigation Counsel are wide ranging and include:
- Leading and managing the Company’s claims and litigation matters, which may include product liability, environmental, commercial and safety related cases. This role will also be responsible for leading and handling internal and government investigations on the Company’s behalf.
- Analyzing, developing and delivering litigation and dispute resolution strategies in line with the Company’s business requirements to reduce risks.
- Working closely with the General Counsel, executive leadership and internal business personnel in the defense or prosecution of litigation including witness preparation and investigations.
- Work and collaborate with the risk management department.
- Selecting, retaining, supervising and assisting outside legal counsel in analyzing, prosecuting and defending litigation matters. Work independently in developing and implementing litigation strategy and defining objectives and goals for matters assigned to outside counsel.
- Attending depositions, hearings, court conferences, mediations and trials as appropriate.
- Establishing and managing litigation budgets and managing, monitoring and controlling outside counsel expenditures. Continually monitoring the quality of outside legal services.
- Seeking cost efficiencies through the use of alternative fee arrangements with outside counsel.
- Working closely with the General Counsel and executive leadership to coordinate litigation reporting and public litigation disclosure.
- Regularly advising executive leadership on claims and litigation developments, exposures and strategies.
- Broad based litigation experience which ideally would include significant knowledge and experience litigating product liability and commercial matters.
- A roll up your sleeves “can do” attitude.
- Leadership and Collaboration skills: Must be analytical and bright, and able to make informed decisions based on past experience and sound instincts. The successful person will possess a style that is both confident and direct, and grounded with sound reasoning and judgment.
- Must have well-developed problem-solving skills, a high level of legal expertise, and leadership skills to independently resolve complex and/or ambiguous situations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to clearly and succinctly explain legal concepts in a non-technical manner to non-lawyers.
- Motivated self-starter with creative thinking and problem-solving skills.
Education and Experience:
- A minimum of 7-10 years of experience and a law degree from an accredited law school
- Membership in good standing of a State Bar and if not admitted to the New Jersey Bar, the ability to secure licensure as in house counsel in accordance with NJ Court Rule 1:27-2.
- Trial experience is desirable.
- Prior in house experience although not required, is highly preferred and desirable.
Salary commensurate with experience. Bonus and equity eligible positionSubmit Resume