Princeton Legal Search Group has been retained on an exclusive basis by a consumer products company in Orangeburg, NY to lead the search for a General Counsel. This position requires significant hands-on legal work, and a focus on minimizing outside counsel expenditures.
Essential Functions and Basic Duties
- Provides legal counsel and guidance to the officers, employees, and Board of Directors on a variety of legal and policy matters relevant to the Company.
- Anticipates and identifies legal issues and counsels officers of the Company and other upper management to develop legal strategies and solutions.
- Reviews, drafts, and negotiates contracts, including without limitation commercial agreements, employment and consulting agreements, customer and vendor agreements.
- Provides advice regarding employment law matters; investigates and responds to complaints filed with the EEOC and/or related state agencies.
- Represents or oversees the representation of the institution and upper management in judicial and administrative proceedings.
- Selects and oversees outside counsel + develops and manages annual departmental budget.
- Provides support for financing, mergers and acquisitions, and other key corporate transactions.
- Advises internal stakeholders and manages outside counsel on the Company’s Intellectual Property portfolio and takes appropriate steps to protect and/or defend the Company’s patent or trademark rights.
- Maintains the corporate books and records of the Company and its subsidiaries.
- Juris Doctor from an accredited U.S. law school, and ability to register as in house counsel with the State of New York if not admitted to the NY Bar.
- Experience operating in a collaborative, responsive and proactive manner, gaining the confidence and trust of the business partners throughout the organization.
- Broad generalist experience in areas including without limitation corporate governance, commercial transactions, and employment law.
- Familiarity with patent and trademark matters is desirable.
- Minimum of 15 years’ relevant legal experience. In-house experience is highly desirable.
The anticipated base salary range for this position is $275,000 – $350,000.Submit Resume